Mechanics of Materials
Stress Transformation I
- Cut FBDs through inclined planes and place them in static equilibrium.
- Correctly identify and name all of the nine 3D stresses using correct symbols, correct subscripts, and correct sign conventions.
- Explain what is meant by “plane stress.”
- Understand that all stress transformations are conducted one rotation at a time, about x, about y, or about z.
- Understand the definition and sign convention for theta: the angular measurement from an input (native) coordinate system to an output (desired) coordinate system.
- Apply the stress transformation equations to transform (plane) stresses from one coordinate system to another.
- Properly interpret the results of the stress transformation equations and illustrate the transformed state of stress on a properly oriented stress element (include: x-axis, x’-axis, y’-axis, angular rotation, stress element in the rotated geometry, and all applicable stresses in the proper direction and with the proper units).
LE34 Stress Transformation I.pdf
HW34 Stress Transformation I.pdf