Mechanics of Materials
- Understand the assumptions that underpin the torsion derivation.
- Compute the polar moment of inertia, J, for the cross-sections of solid and hollow cylinders.
- Identify the location of maximum torsional shear stress in a shaft.
- Identify the location of maximum twist in a shaft and compute it, using proper sign conventions.
- Compute, visualize, and illustrate torsional shear stress at any point on a 2D stress element or 3D stress cube.
LE23 Torsion II.pdf
HW23 Torsion II.pdf