Mechanics of Materials
Allowable Stress Design III
- Compute bearing stress on a curved surface using ASD.
- Explain the importance of stress concentrations, how they limit the applicability of ASD, and predict where they are likely to occur.
- Understand similarities between fluid flow in a pipe and stress flow in a solid material.
- Understand that the maximum stress in the vicinity of a stress concentration is higher than the net stress (which in turn is higher than the gross stress).
- Recognize that stress concentrations are outside the scope of ASD.
LE30 Allowable Stress Design III.pdf
HW30 Allowable Stress Design III.pdf