Mechanics of Materials
- Explain the theoretical and practical differences between spherical and cylindrical pressure vessels.
- Use the analogy of a balloon to explain why stresses in pressure vessels are characterized as membrane (planar) stresses.
- Understand the limitation of the “thin-wall” assumption embedded in the pressure vessel stress formulas.
- Derive equations for hoop stress and longitudinal stress in pressure vessels.
- Sketch the theoretical failure planes that are associated with longitudinal stress and hoop stress.
- Given a spherical or cylindrical pressure vessel, compute stresses from pressures and vice-versa.
LE08 Pressure Vessels.pdf
HW08 Pressure Vessels.pdf