Mechanics of Materials
- Use the equations of equilibrium to solve for unknown torque reactions.
- Explain the concept of torsion in your own words.
- Differentiate between torques and moments.
- Use the right-hand-rule to identify the sign convention of a single torque, and express it in double-arrow notation.
- Memorize and apply the sign convention for INTERNAL torque (in double-arrow notation).
- Sketch the distribution of torsional shear stress on a cross-sectional plane. Compare and contrast the kinematics (movement hypothesis) of axial members, beams, and shafts, referring to the phrase “plane sections remain plane.”
- Visualize torsional deformation in terms of cross-sectional rotations and longitudinal lines on the shaft’s surface.
LE22 Torsion I.pdf
HW22 Torsion I.pdf