Mechanics of Materials
Average Normal Stress
- Understand and apply the sign conventions for internal N, V, and M.
- Understand and apply the equations of equilibrium (E.o.E.).
- Construct a FBD that includes a theoretical cutting plane.
- Explain the concept of stress.
- Identify the two simple stresses.
- Memorize and apply the equation and sign convention for average normal stress.
- Memorize common units for force per area (Pa, kPa, MPa, GPa, psi, and ksi).
- Illustrate the distribution of average normal stress on a plane.
- Illustrate average normal stress at a point on a 2D stress element and a 3D stress cube.
LE01 Average Normal Stress.pdf
HW01 Average Normal Stress.pdf