Mechanics of Materials
Shear Stress and Strain
- Explain how shear stress differs from normal stress.
- Sketch the characteristic shape of stress cubes subjected to normal stress and to shear stress.
- Understand that the presence of any one shear stress correlates to three shear stresses on other planes.
- Memorize and apply the tricky sign convention (and subscripts) for shear stress; illustrate shear stress on a stress cube or stress element.
- Apply computational relationships between shear stress, shear strain, and the shear modulus.
- Given a deformed, sheared, plane, compute the shear strain by using angular measurements.
LE04 Shear Stress and Strain.pdf
HW04 Shear Stress and Strain.pdf