Mechanics of Materials
Average Normal Strain
- Explain the relationship between deformation and force in a spring.
- Recall that “fixed planes” may not translate (they are constrained) and that “free planes” may translate (they are unconstrained).
- Explain the concepts of elongation and shortening.
- Understand similarities between deformation in a spring and in a solid bar.
- Differentiate between translation and deformation.
- Memorize and apply the definition of axial deformation.
- Understand and apply the equation for average normal strain.
LE02 Average Normal Strain.pdf
HW02 Average Normal Strain.pdf